This egg and sweet potato hash is the perfect solution for mornings when you sleep until noon and don’t know whether to eat breakfast or lunch. It is breakfast-y enough that I still want to eat it right after waking up and has enough veggies for a well-balanced lunch.
Since its winter break, I have been spending a lot of time relaxing and enjoying time with my family. And yes, I have had a few too many times when I intended to wake up early but didn’t actually get out of bed until almost 12 (or later…). When I get up that late, I am always starving and need a meal that is quick and filling. I love sweet potatoes in breakfast recipes because they are sweet enough that I actually want to eat them when I first wake up, while still providing the nutrition of a vegetable as a great way to start the day. (I also will just use any excuse to eat sweet potatoes all the time)
While this recipe does require a stove, it is still pretty easy to make. However, if you don’t have a stove, I will be posting a microwave only version very soon!
- Rinse and scrub the sweet potato to clean. Use a fork to poke a few holes in the potato and wrap in a damp paper towel**. Cook in microwave for 3-5 minutes until tender.
- While potato is cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the spinach and cook until it starts to wilt.
- When the sweet potato is cooked, remove from microwave and cut into small cubes.
- Transfer sweet potato and spinach to a plate and sprinkle with feta cheese. Add egg to hot skillet and cook 2-3 minutes or to desired doneness.
- When egg is done, place on top of the sweet potato hash and dig in while it is still warm 🙂
**Cooking the potato is much easier with a Potato Express Bag. If using a Potato Express, just place the clean potato inside without poking the holes and cook in microwave for 3-5 minutes.